Maltings On Kibes Lane

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
craig

Maltings On Kibes Lane

Post by craig »

:geek:
I'm worried for the future of the Malting building that used to be home to Waggers.
The Malting is owned by East Herts District Council.
It would be an absolute tragedy if this building went the same way as Musley school.
All buildings have to be used, heated and protected to ensure that they do not deteriorate.

I have no idea what plans have been ear-marked for this Building, if any, - but I want to do something if I can.

I suggest that a community group be setup to ensure the Malting is kept in use for the community, by the community.
It has been used for 'leisure' for many years and it's essentinal, (imho) that it remains in the hands of the public and that East Herts Council do not sell it off.
The Northern Maltings next door were sold by East Herts Council because it was largely vacant and surplus to requirements.

I'd like to see the large upstairs function room used for functions again, with workshops for music, art, drama and film.
And the downstairs, it should be converted into something like an indoor market with craft/art workshops for small businesses.

I've no idea how to do this - but a Community Enterprise seems to be the way forward.

My rose-tinted glasses have been removed...
mb1

Re: Maltings On Kibes Lane

Post by mb1 »

Following my rant on another thread re: EHDC I would be happy to join a group to see how we might progress this Craig.
Littlejon

Post by Littlejon »

As would I.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I'm not sure what the grounds are for your fears. Musley School is privately owned, unlike the Maltings. Also, it is still occupied at one end by The Arts Centre. Aren't you pushing at an open door?
Alec

Post by Alec »

Hard to know how open the door actually is.

But, as with all these things, the big challenge is putting together a decent, sustainable business plan. There are loads of things I'd love to see in Ware, but not that many of them are viable.

Gauntlet duly thrown down!
adam_thomas

Post by adam_thomas »

It's already for sale, via Derrick Wade Waters.
JudieT

Post by JudieT »

So it is!
http://propertylink.estatesgazette.com/ ... sTown=ware
Although I'm not sure about the parking at the back - this is severely restricted and often blocked up causing me no end of strife when I'm trying to get to my premises at the end of the centre maltings. I hope it's not gonna get worse
Damo5

Post by Damo5 »

adam_thomas wrote:It's already for sale, via Derrick Wade Waters.
The listing is for the whole building, including the Arts Centre , presumably as a sitting tenant, as a Development/ Investment Opportunity.

Good to see Council disposing of another community asset in Ware as quickly as possible with no consideration to how it might be used for the benefit of the community.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Damo5 wrote:
adam_thomas wrote:It's already for sale, via Derrick Wade Waters.
The listing is for the whole building, including the Arts Centre , presumably as a sitting tenant, as a Development/ Investment Opportunity.

Good to see Council disposing of another community asset in Ware as quickly as possible with no consideration to how it might be used for the benefit of the community.
Have the Council disposed of any other community "assets"? In any case it was a pub does that count?

The problem with these buildings (Musley included) is that they are not assets, they are huge liabilities. The cost of renovation and running is massive and far more than any community use will cover. You also have to have trustees who will run the place (and take responsibility which makes most run for cover). To run this for functions would require a licence (in someone's name), catering and staff with all that goes with that.

Conversion to homes is just about the only way that these types of buildings will be preserved for the future.
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

2 things

1 will ehdc get a fee from the sale of this building?

2 Its being sold with The Arts Centre - my understanding was WAC had a separate lease so should be safe but if someone bought the whole plot who knows.
Thanks yet again to ehdc for selling an asset - Craig is right to highlight this as its integral to the history of Ware, Waggers/WAC must be kept for leisure/community not industrial; the selling agent is in Stortford so they won't care about our heritage either.