travel card/oyster

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Mel

travel card/oyster

Post by Mel »

Can anyone tell me is it cheaper to buy a travelcard if I'm going from Ware to Kings Cross or use Oyster? Thanks.
Northsider

Re: travel card/oyster

Post by Northsider »

Oyster, I'd say for that journey
Alec

Post by Alec »

Ware to King's Cross
Oyster single adult fare: £11.20 (Peak - Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930), £8.60 (Off-peak)
National Raid fare: £13.80 (Any time)

Of course, a lot changes if you want a return, or if you have a rail card. You can search either of the above links for your circumstances, or pop into the ticket office and ask - they're generally very helpful in the Ware office.
Mel

Post by Mel »

It is for a return journey so I'll have to work out the difference between the fare with a disabled railcard and the Oyster card. Cheers
Mel

Post by Mel »

I can't pretend to understand these rail fares! This morning I checked on the National Rail website and 2 returns with a disabled rail card cost less than £40.00 which makes it cheaper than an oyster. I checked on the Oyster website and that quoted a more expensive fare with the disabled rail card! I think I'll go and ask the horse's mouth :D i.e. the very helpful staff at Ware station
Alec

Post by Alec »

Mel wrote:I can't pretend to understand these rail fares! This morning I checked on the National Rail website and 2 returns with a disabled rail card cost less than £40.00 which makes it cheaper than an oyster. I checked on the Oyster website and that quoted a more expensive fare with the disabled rail card! I think I'll go and ask the horse's mouth :D i.e. the very helpful staff at Ware station
While the regular Oyster fare should always be cheaper than the paper ticket, railcards usually tip the balance back in favour of the paper ticket - not least, as not all railcards can be added to an Oyster card. And, even if they can, they have to be added to an Oyster card, and can't be used for contactless payment (credit/debit cards).

In the end, checking the two websites I showed does tend to let you pick the cheaper option. But you've got to watch for the finer details - like Oyster having different peak times/rules from paper tickets. In the end, you can spend ages searching in order to save £1. Most people don't/won't bother, which means loads overpay for their rail travel.

It's stupidly complex...
Mel

Post by Mel »

I know. I have my disabled rail card linked to my Oyster card but if I'm travelling with anyone I get a discount on both fares so it works out cheaper that way. Thanks for your help though and I've made a note of those websites for future use.