Tudor Square

News and views on shopping in the town.
Ian

Re: Tudor Square

Post by Ian »

I must say although the plans actually look OK I don't think this is right for the square. The space and feel of the design doesn't encourage a cafe style area which would benefit the restaurants and add a vibrancy to the square that is missing. As one of the organizers of Music & Motors I don't think it will work with that design at all, the layout kills off the idea of a coherent display of the cars and there is no natural stage and auditorium for the music. Dickensian evening may be OK but the number of stalls will be severely reduced.

Surely it would be better to have movable street furniture so that events can still take place and then the square can be put back afterwards? I can't believe it's taken this long to come up with this idea :(
Suzy

Post by Suzy »

Looking at the design approach document it appears that the brief was to create a space for sitting in which can also occasionally be used for events involving a few stalls. The design brief aims to prevent drivers from using the square as a car park but, as a result, the Music and Motors event has been "designed out" of the square and probably out of the town. The plans certainly make the square look much more appealing but it's a pity that the designer wasn't briefed more thoroughly about the community events that use it. I'm sure a good designer would be able to come up with a solution that would solve the illegal parking without putting an end to one of the few community events that regularly takes place in the square!
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

There is no mention of Music & Motors in the approach document which says vehicle access is possible if essential.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

If Tudor Square excludes Music and Motors perhaps the Town council could be asked to host it in the parking space immediately in front of the Priory?
craig

Post by craig »

Reminder: The plans will be on display in the Priory on Saturday 25 January (today) between 10 am and 1pm.
Town Councillors will be on hand to discuss the proposals and to answer questions.

Best get down and have your say.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

I really agree with Andy B and John D. Who would use the square after this £71000 change?

The idea of a square is that there is a big enough space for people to gather for various events.

Squares are not usually filled up with plants unless they are large enough to accommodate both.

These plans would prevent organising events in this area. The square as it is now, is usually crammed for Dickensian evening.

Don’t get me wrong. I love trees and plants but if I were to sit down in the town I would walk to the nearby Priory park and enjoy the wildlife. I can’t see any mothers with children sitting there either. They will be at the Priory park as well. I can’t see any tourist sitting there either.

The square might look slightly better after the transformation, but the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion.
The Masked Woler

Aurora wrote:I really agree with Andy B and John D. Who would use the square after this £71000 change?

The idea of a square is that there is a big enough space for people to gather for various events.

Squares are not usually filled up with plants unless they are large enough to accommodate both.

These plans would prevent organising events in this area. The square as it is now, is usually crammed for Dickensian evening.

Don’t get me wrong. I love trees and plants but if I were to sit down in the town I would walk to the nearby Priory park and enjoy the wildlife. I can’t see any mothers with children sitting there either. They will be at the Priory park as well. I can’t see any tourist sitting there either.

The square might look slightly better after the transformation, but the negatives outweigh the positives in my opinion.
Currently the square is hardly used (save as a car park), Dickensian is far too crowded and could do with less stalls in my view. But any plan whose stated purpose is to stop it being used by vehicles is going to prevent M&M. They say other events will be unaffected.

It will certainly look better, but then that isn't hard compared to what we have now.

(not sure where you get £71,000, the amount said to be available is over £90,000 and they aren't sure that will be enough)
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

mb1 wrote:If Tudor Square excludes Music and Motors perhaps the Town council could be asked to host it in the parking space immediately in front of the Priory?
But that would take it out of the town centre and the very reason it works as anyone in the town drops by on top of those who specifically go to attend it.
The Masked Woler

mb1 wrote:If Tudor Square excludes Music and Motors perhaps the Town council could be asked to host it in the parking space immediately in front of the Priory?
Unlikely, August is prime time for Priory bookings so they won't want M&M outside making a row
IGS

Post by IGS »

The Masked Woler wrote:
Unlikely, August is prime time for Priory bookings so they won't want M&M outside making a row
I'm sure they could manage a Saturday afternoon if needs be.